May 27, 2017

Some Reading

Since finishing the spring semester of college, I've been doing a lot of reading. This past semester required a good amount of reading for each of my classes, and luckily it got me in the habit of reading good amounts of texts.

I'm reading a few books at the moment. Slowly but surely, I'm making my way through David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. Today, a friend told me that I'm trying hard to be a "David Foster Wallace Bro." I don't know what that means, but I really do not want to be a David Foster Wallace Bro.

Additionally, I'm reading Shattered, that book about the horrible Clinton campaign that everyone's been talking about. To be frank, I don't think that the writing is that awesome. It seems like the writers just wanted to use explicit language as much as possible in order to prove some sort of point about how they're still young and relevant and edgy. They're lucky in the fact that they have a good story to tell, and that saves the book.

(Also, it's inevitable to think about the fact that Allen and Parnes wrote a ridiculously celebratory book about Clinton prior to running. You get the feeling they're so bitter about how awful she was during the election that they wrote this book to spite her, which I can appreciate to a degree.)

In between these books, I've been reading a lot of short stories. Last week's New Yorker had a great read from Samantha Hunt called "A Love Story" which dealt with the challenges to identity that comes with motherhood. It reaffirmed my desire to not have children.

J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories is also really awesome, he's such a great writer. Big thanks to my high school government teacher for telling me to read Salinger.

This year I've finally come to terms with the fact that there's a great deal of classic literature that I just do not like! But wait!!! I feel like I can offer a justification for this opinion: what's the fun in reading about rich white aristocrats (I'm looking at you, Jane Austen)? With this confession comes the realization that I really enjoy the voice of the contemporary woman; Maggie Nelson is great, I consider Leslie Jamison to be one of my favorite writers, etc etc etc....... A recent trip to the bookstore brought Marina Keegan to my attention, and I really want to grab a copy of 'The Opposite of Loneliness."

So that's what's been going on with me, in terms of books. Any recommendations? Email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment